OnePlus have recently published an OTA update for their latest OnePlus 6 flagship. OxygenOS 5.1.6 brings a dual 4G standby option to the phone’s settings, allowing both SIM cards to be connected to 4G networks simultaneously. Owners have long hoped the dual 4G VoLTE functionality would be activated, after support was added to the latest generation of Snapdragon chipsets.
A new option, Dual 4G networks, appears under ‘SIM & Network’ within the OnePlus 6 settings menu. Once enabled, the secondary sim will remain connected to a 4G network wherever possible.
Previously, dual-SIM OnePlus phones allowed either SIM card to be set as the active data SIM. This active SIM would be able to connect to any type of network, whilst the secondary SIM would be restricted to 2G networks only. If enabled, a quick setting toggle allows the user to quickly switch which SIM card is the active data SIM.
This update does not allow both SIM cards to be used for data simultaneously, and an active data SIM must still be selected. However, allowing the secondary SIM to remain connected to 4G should allow higher quality voice calls to be made over the 4G network.
Enabling 4G standby on the secondary SIM should also make switching active data SIM quicker, with a much more seamless connection made to the new data network as a 4G connection is already established. Previously, the secondary SIM in 2G standby would have to begin searching for a more preferable network technology when the active data SIM selection changed.
Dual 4G standby should also give a slight reduction in battery usage, under ideal network signal conditions.
The OnePlus 6 5.1.6 update was quickly withdrawn due to teething issues, however
The full list of changes in OxygenOS 5.1.6 for the OnePlus 6 are below:
- Enable Idea VoLTE services in India
- Fixed stability issues for Dual Sim Cards
- Added Portrait Mode for the front camera
- Added preview for Light Bokeh effect in Portrait Mode of the rear camera
- Optimized call clarity
- Supported battery percentage in the status bar
- Improved ringtone volume and sound quality
- Now able to schedule Do Not Disturb(DND) mode
- Added Dual-4G network option in SIM & network settings
- Optimized power consumption and Improved system stability
- Added smart answer for Bluetooth – automatically answer incoming calls when connecting to Bluetooth devices
OxygenOS 5.1.7 for the OnePlus 6 adds the following improvements:
- Fixed schedule setting issue for Do Not Disturb(DND) mode
- Updated bootloader for system security enhancement
- General bug fixes and improvements
OxygenOS 5.1.8 for the OnePlus 6 then makes the following further changes:
- Optimized call quality
- Fixed system stability issues
- Improved network stability and general bug fixes